Do You Need an Auto Accident Lawyer for a Hit-and-Run?
Being involved in an accident can be a life-changing event. If you’re responsible for a car accident, leave the scene and fail to return after seeking help, you’re guilty of a hit-and-run. Depending on various factors, such as the state you’re in and the severity of the accident, a hit-and-run is considered a felony or a misdemeanor. In either case, you may face steep fines imposed by the court, time behind bars, and at least the temporary loss of your license. And all that’s before a civil action is taken against you. For victims, they may need to look into hiring a personal injury attorney.
Hit-and-Run: Potential Consequences for Victims
While being responsible for a hit-and-run can undoubtedly turn your life upside down, being the victim of such an accident can have even more dire consequences. Injuries that range from minor inconveniences to permanent loss of limb or function, property damage, or death are consequences that victims of hit-and-runs may face.
What to Do as the Victim of a Hit-and-Run
Because there’s no one to blame initially, victims of hit-and-runs also feel powerless to control their future as it relates to their recovery from their accident. There’s no reason to feel that way, however, because there are things you can do immediately after being involved in a hit-and-run that can facilitate your ability to recover for any losses you incur as the result of the incident.
Here are some of the things you should do if you’re the victim of a hit-and-run:
- Report the accident to the police and make sure a report of the incident is on file.
- Seek medical attention so that a link between the accident and your injuries is evident and documented.
- If you’re able to do so, write down a description of the responsible party’s car, making a note of its license plate or any marker that makes the vehicle stand out, such as a bumper sticker or unique trim.
- Write down what the other driver looked like if you got a glimpse of the person.
- Gather contact information from anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Make a note of any nearby cameras that may have recorded the hit-and-run on film.
- Record the time and date the accident happened.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, the surrounding area, and any damage your automobile suffered from different angles.
- Contact your insurance carrier to inform the company about the accident.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney
Although contacting a car injury lawyer may be the last step in the list provided above, it’s important to secure legal representation. Philbrook Law Office has acted as an auto accident lawyer for hit-and-run victims in and around Vancouver and Battle Ground, WA for years. Boasting an impressive track record of success, our team will handle everything related to your accident so you can focus on your physical recovery.
We’ll verify the circumstances surrounding your accident, interview witnesses, gather reports and records, and represent your interests to the relevant insurers and at-fault actors. We’ll do everything possible to ensure you get the maximum amount of compensation you deserve as the victim of a hit-and-run.
To learn more about our work as a personal injury attorney or to schedule a consultation with an auto accident attorney, you can trust to protect your best interests, contact Philbrook Law Office now!