Vancouver, WA Slip and Fall Attorneys
Aggressive legal representation for slips and falls on properties in Washington state
You finally decide to visit a retail store instead of buying online – only to slip and fall on broken tiles. You do your part and visit a local restaurant during the pandemic – only to slip and fall on a slippery floor. You slip and fall when a loose railing on a stairwell causes you to lose your grip. In all these cases, you have the right to file a premises liability claim against the property owners.
Clothing stores, apartment complexes, gas stations, shopping malls, any place that sells merchandise, and any location that hosts events – they all owe a duty of care to people who have the right to be on the property. Slip and fall injuries are often entirely preventable because the property owner knew, or should have known, of a danger and taken steps to fix the danger or issue a warning about it. At Philbrook Law Office PS, our Vancouver, WA slip and fall lawyers fight to show property owners breached this duty of care. We demand compensation for all financial and non-financial losses the slip and fall injuries cause.
- Common causes of slip and fall injuries in Vancouver, WA
- Where do most slip and fall accidents happen?
- What kinds of injuries are caused by slip-and-falls?
- What steps should Vancouver, WA property owners take to keep their buildings safe?
- I slipped and fell; what should I do next?
- What damages can you seek in a slip and fall case?
- What if I’m partially liable for the fall?
Common causes of slip and fall injuries in Vancouver, WA
Slips, trips, and falls are often a result of poorly maintained, designed, or constructed property. The more common causes include:
- Uneven or broken tiles and floors
- Uneven or torn carpet
- Wet, slippery entrance ways to public buildings
- Uneven stairways and steps
- Loose handrails and guardrails
- Broken or faulty elevators and escalators
- Poor lighting
- Blocked pathways
- Missing signage (such as “wet floor” or “out of service”)
Our skilled lawyers work with investigators to take pictures and videos of the accident site. We conduct discovery (oral and written questions) to determine if the owner had notice of the property defects. Notice can be shown through:
- Prior complaints
- Building code violation citations
- Eyewitnesses who complained
- Prior repairs
- Camera and video surveillance
- Other types of evidence depending on the particular case
Where do most slip and fall accidents happen?
| || |
What kinds of injuries are caused by slip-and-falls?
You don’t have to fall from a great height to suffer an injury. Philbrook Law Office represents clients throughout Washington and Oregon who sustained injuries such as:
| || |
What steps should Vancouver, WA property owners take to keep their buildings safe?
Property owners –businesses, nonprofits, organizations, and homeowners – all have a duty to keep their property safe. Slips and falls are a known danger for customers, clients, and anyone with a right to be on the property. Our lawyers work, sometimes with industry professionals, to show that the property owner:
- Failed to conduct regular inspections of the property
- Failed to respond to complaints or warnings by employees, vendors, customers, and others
- Didn’t hire maintenance and repair crews to fix known dangers
I slipped and fell; what should I do next?
Issues that often arise after a slip and fall have to do with proof of the condition and witness information. If you are a victim or witness to a slip and fall, the following is a list of things to think about:
- Finding the store manager and filling out an incident report
- Obtaining a copy of the report
- Acquiring the contact information (name, address, and phone numbers) of any witnesses or anyone who saw the condition of the incident
- Taking pictures/video of the scene
- Getting the medical care that you need
Then, contact Philbrook Law Office in Vancouver, or Battle Ground, WA to get started on a premises liability claim for damages. Our personal injury attorneys can obtain valuable information and records, like video surveillance of where you fell, that can help build your case. Make sure to bring your medical records to the initial consultation, so we can better understand the extent of your injuries and treatment plan. If your loved one died as a result of the fall, we can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit on his or her behalf.
What damages can you seek in a slip and fall case?
If you were injured due to a slip and fall, you have three years to make a claim for damages. You can seek economic damages and non-economic damages:
- All of your medical bills. Victims who suffer from slips and falls often need emergency medical, treatment with specialists, and long-term treatment with physical therapists and other types of therapists. Injured victims are entitled to payment of the following medical bills from liable property owners and defendants:
- All hospital care
- All physician care
- All healthcare by qualified non-physician providers such as physical therapists
- The cost of all medications
- The cost of any assistive medical devices
- Care with psychologists and psychiatrists
- Your income losses. Most accident victims lose time from work to treat their injuries. Many victims also lose wages or business income because they can’t lift their arms, sit for any period of time, get enough sleep, or for other reasons. If your injuries are severe enough to render you disabled, you can claim loss of future earning income, as well.
- Any scarring or disfigurement. If your fall results in permanent scarring or disfigurement, you may be entitled to additional compensation.
- Your pain and suffering. Victims of falls suffer physical aches and pains every moment of every day. They worry about whether they’ll ever get better. They can’t always enjoy life’s pleasures, and may suffer from mental trauma as well. Victims are entitled to compensation for these heartbreaking difficulties. If a slip and fall make it impossible for your spouse or partner to be intimate with you, you can file a claim for loss of consortium.
At Philbrook Law Office, we seek payment for all your losses through the date of settlement or trial AND all the future losses you will have, possibly for the rest of your life.
What if I’m partially liable for the fall?
In Washington, if a plaintiff was partially at fault for an accident, he or she can still proceed with their claim. The damage award will be reduced by the percentage of fault of the parties. For example, if a case has a value of $100,000 and the plaintiff was 20% at fault, the plaintiff will be awarded $80,000.
The really good news in is that in Washington State, even if the plaintiff was more at fault than the defendant, the plaintiff can still recover. So, if a plaintiff is 80% at a fault in case worth $100,000, the plaintiff will be awarded $20,000.
Is your slip and fall lawyer near me?
Philbrook Law Office is located in Vancouver, but we serve clients in the greater Portland area, and throughout Oregon and Washington. Rest assured, however, that if you are critically injured and unable to come to us, we will travel to visit you in the hospital or rehabilitation center. We also offer virtual conferences and telephone consultations.
Aggressive representation for slip and fall victims in Washington and Oregon
At Philbrook Law Office, we have a strong track record of success fighting for personal injury victims. When negotiations for a settlement fail, our Vancouver, WA slip and fall lawyers are ready to try your case before a jury. We file claims against property owners and any other responsible parties. We demand payment for all your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. To schedule a free consultation at one of our offices in Vancouver or Battle Ground, WA, please call 360-695-3309 or complete our contact form. These claims are handled on a contingency fee basis. We proudly represent clients in Portland and throughout Oregon, too.