Battle Ground Car Accident Lawyers
Experienced representation for Clark County drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicycle riders
Drivers on the main interstates like I-5 and I-205, the main state roads such as State Routes 14 and 500, and local highways, roads, and streets are at constant risk of being struck by another vehicle. Collisions at high rates of speed often cause fatalities. Collisions at moderate and lower rates of speeds can cause catastrophic injuries which require a lifetime of care, permanent injuries, and injuries that take months or even years to properly heal.
The experienced Battle Ground car accident lawyers at Philbrook Law Office work aggressively to hold all responsible parties accountable for the damages they cause. There is no excuse for speeding, driving while distracted, driving while intoxicated, driving while tired, or failing to follow the traffic laws of the state. Liable parties should pay you for your pain and suffering, your lost income, your medical bills, and the damage to your vehicle. They may also be required to pay for scarring and disfigurement damages and, in some cases, may be required to pay punitive damages.
Why do car accidents occur in Battle Ground, WA?
Many of the causes of car accidents are well-known. They include:
- Driving while distracted. Drivers in Battle Ground should never drive and text at the same time. If they need to use their cell phone, they should pull off to the side of the road where they can have a safe conversation. Drivers who eat, drink, look at a GPS system, play with the radio, or take their hands off the steering wheel and their eyes off the road for any reason are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics. Drivers should never drink and drive or use drugs and drive. Using substances can cause the driver to lose control of his/her vehicle. Sadly, many drunk driving accidents cause death and catastrophic injuries.
- Traffic violations. The most common traffic violation that causes accidents is speeding. Drivers should avoid driving too fast, especially when it's snowing, raining, foggy, or too sunny. Traffic violation accidents also include running through stop signs and traffic lights, and many other violations of the rules of the road.
- Improper passing and merging. Cars should never pass unless the road markings make clear that it is OK to pass, and the traffic conditions make clear that there is enough safe distance to pass. Drivers must understand who has the right of way when cars merge and should communicate with each other to make sure the merge is done properly.
- Driver fatigue. A tired driver is a dangerous driver. Drivers making long journeys should take rest stops. They should get off the road if they need to sleep. Drinking coffee and opening the windows is not a sufficient response to driver fatigue. If you're tired, you need to get off the road.
- Defective auto parts. Manufacturers of cars or car parts have a duty to make sure that the cars and car parts are designed properly and are made with quality parts. Defective parts such as faulty fuel lines, faulty braking systems, and faulty steering wheels can easily cause an accident. Recently, there have been many court cases involving defective auto bags which have crushed the drivers and passengers that they were meant to protect.
Other causes of car accidents in Battle Ground include construction sites that don't properly direct drivers, roadways that are improperly designed or maintained by the state of Washington or by Clark County, and intersection accidents because the traffic at the intersection is not properly regulated.
What types of car crashes are common in Battle Ground?
Most accidents involving cars happen in one of the following ways:
- Head-on collisions. These often-fatal accidents involved the fronts of two cars striking each other. They normally occur because one car is going the wrong way either in the wrong lane or at the intersection.
- Rear-end collisions. These accidents occur when the driver in the rear is speeding or is distracted. Common injuries to the drivers and passengers in the front car are whiplash and soft tissue injuries as well as back injuries.
- Single-car crashes. In these cases, the passenger should have a claim against the driver. Single-car accidents normally occur because the driver is speeding, distracted, driving while intoxicated, or tired.
- Broadside crashes. These crashes, also called T-bone crashes, involve the front of one car striking the side of the second car. These accidents often happen at intersections. Broadside crashes are often fatal if the cars are traveling at high speeds.
- Sideswipe collisions. This type of Battle Ground car accident occurs when the driver side of one car collides with the passenger side of a second car. Sideswipes often occur when one of the drivers fails to merge properly or fails to pass properly.
- Multi-car accidents. These accidents may be due to a chain reaction where one car strikes a car in front which strikes other cars down the line. Multi-car crashes can also occur when two cars collide and one of the vehicles spins out of control striking other cars. The cars that are trying to get out of the way may also strike each other. Multi-car accidents require skilled Battle Ground car accident lawyers because there are multiple victims and multiple defendants.
At Philbrook Law Office, we work with investigators, the police, and conduct extensive discovery to determine how these crashes occur. In some cases, liability can be determined just by examining the damage to the vehicles. In unique cases, we may consult with traffic reconstruction experts.
Who can be held liable for a Battle Ground car accident?
The people or entities who may be liable for your car accident or for the wrongful death of a loved one include:
- The driver of the vehicle that hit you
- The owner of the vehicle (if different than the driver)
- A manufacturer of a defective car or car part
- The State of Washington, Clark County, the Washington Department of Transportation, or other governmental entities
- A provider of alcohol: a business or anyone who sells alcohol may be liable if he/she served alcohol to someone who was visibly intoxicated, and that person caused an accident
If your car was struck by a truck, then there may be claims against the truck driver, the trucking company, the shipping company, and other truck entities.
What types of injuries do Battle Ground car accident victims suffer?
Many car drivers and passengers die as a result of a car accident. If a car strikes a pedestrian or a bicycle rider, it's usually a miracle that the pedestrian or bicycle rider survives. We file wrongful death cases on behalf of the families of the person killed.
Luckily, far more people survive car crashes, though sometimes their injuries can be catastrophic. Our Battle Ground injury attorneys can help you if you were in a car accident that resulted in:
- Spinal cord damage
- Head trauma or a traumatic brain injury
- Amputation of a leg, arm, foot, or hand
- Loss of vision or loss of hearing
- Broken bones
- Muscle damage and soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Sprains, cuts, and bruises
- Organ damage
- Burn injuries
What are the liability insurance requirements in Battle Ground?
Car owners are required to have the following amounts of minimal insurance:
- Death or injuries to one person in one accident: $25,000
- Death or injuries to multiple people in one accident: $50,000
- Property damage: $10,000
Car owners should buy as much car liability insurance as they can afford because just one surgery can cost tens of thousands of dollars and many cars are worth much more than $10,000. Car owners should also purchase UM/UIM insurance in case the driver who causes the crash doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to pay all your damages.
Is your car accident lawyer near me?
Philbrook Law Office is located in Battle Ground, but we serve clients in the greater Portland area, and throughout Oregon and Washington. Rest assured, however, that if you are critically injured and unable to come to us, we will travel to visit you in the hospital or rehabilitation center. We also offer virtual conferences and telephone consultations.
How Philbrook Law Office helps when car crashes happen
At Philbrook law office, our Battle Ground car accident lawyers understand that even minor injuries can dramatically affect your health, your ability to work, and your ability to function. In many cases, victims suffer chronic pain for years or even the rest of their life. We’ll work with your doctors to fully understand and verify all your medical injuries and all the treatment that you'll need. We’ll work with your employer to verify all the income that you're losing or review your business income to verify your income loss. We skillfully and persuasively argue the extreme pain and suffering that you're in. In most cases, we are able to negotiate a strong settlement. We're also ready and able to argue your case before a jury when insurance companies are unreasonable. If a loved one died, or you were hurt in a car accident anywhere in Clark County, call our office in Battle Ground, WA at 360-695-3309 or fill out our contact form to discuss your case.